Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Getting Started and Planning for Success


Who are you, exactly?

Hmm. My name is Nicholas, and I'm 24 year old dude living north of the Atlanta metro in GA. I'm an artist, and a current art student. Though, I will say on that last part I hope to continue to be a student for a long, long time. Okay, so maybe not a student forever, but I definitely want to strive to always continue learning.

And for prosperity, I've been studying art academically since Fall 2011, but if we're being serious I haven't really, really been studying longer than Spring 2013. So, about a year and a half now I've been trying to put my nose to the grind stone and figure out what it takes to become a professional. Which leads me to my next point.

Why am I making this blog?

Well for starters, I want to catalogue the journey from where I was, where I am now, to becoming a full-fledged professional, i.e. paid, artist, freelance or otherwise.

In this past year and some change, I have done a lot of trekking through the murk to find out how people made the transition from something close to myself, to a professional. If I'm being frank, finding answers has been hell. The biggest points of aid have come from direct human contact (imagine that) at two conferences I managed to go to, Spectrum Fantastic Art Live this past May and Massive Black in Dec.

I want to share resources I have found useful, highlight learning strategies I am trying, deliver some clarity from the unknown, record field reports of my progress as I study, and invite any struggling soul to fight the good fight alongside me.

Baseline: where I am now, where I was, and what I am planning.

Currently? I am enrolled at a University, studying Drawing/Painting. There is one professor who is a staunch realist, and if I'm to be entirely honest, the only one who seems to support my endeavors towards this career. Which is a character designer, illustrator and all things fantastical while maintaining a sense of strong realism.

These pictures should show you the amount of progress I've made in the last year and a half. I've included some from 2012, where I was doing minimal research, had no idea of what kind of people, or info was available and I was literally flopping about on my tablet.



 


My next blog post will entail more specifics, including time management and the practice regimens I have tried, and the one or two I am going to be using here in the future.

There is so much to learn, but knowing that means nothing if we don't take action.


No comments:

Post a Comment